Like many other websites, Yahoo has also been the victim of data breach twice to date. The biggest hacking happened in August 2013 that affected over three billion account holders at Yahoo. Another one took place in the year 2014 affecting 500 million users apparently. By the year 2011, Yahoo became the third largest web-based email service in the world with 281 million users. Due to these breaches, people this number really went down affecting the image of Yahoo negatively.
Such kind of data breaches can cost the users their personal data like the account details, passwords to the other accounts, bank account details, etc. Many account holders got tired of these breaches at Yahoo and terminated their Yahoo email accounts. With the help of this guide, we are going to explain how to delete Yahoo account permanently.
Privacy Risks with Yahoo Mail
A free of cost, web-based email app, Yahoo Mail provides the basic tools and features of a modern email app to all its registered users. Though, the paid option is also available for premium services like Mail Plus or Mail Pro. These premium versions of Yahoo are supposed to be faster and prettier.
By signing up with Yahoo mail, you give the automated systems of Yahoo the right to scrutinize all communications content available under your account. All your emails, photos, and instant messages are included in this content.
Tips before Deleting a Yahoo Account
You can terminate Yahoo account in a few simple steps and retract any kind of access to your mails and hamper people from messaging you.
There are a few things you need to keep in mind before terminating your Yahoo account. Before you delete your yahoo account permanently, you must now know that once your account will be deleted, you cannot access your emails, Flickr account messages and photos and any other data stored in Yahoo services.
If you are using any of Yahoo’s premium services, then do not forget to cancel all those subscriptions before deleting your account to avoid unexpected payment issues later. If you forget to cancel those subscriptions, then it can cost you a lot.
You can download the data and photos shared within the mails and all your Yahoo emails before deleting your account. To download the same, follow the steps below:
- Visit the Yahoo Privacy Dashboard
- Scroll down to the products section and then click on the option of “Yahoo Mail”.
- Adjacent to “Yahoo Mail”, there will be an option of “Mail Download Manager”. Simply click on the same option.
- Select all the data you wish to fetch.
- Enter a valid email address on which you want to transfer all your data.
- Lastly, click on “OK”.
Easy Steps to Delete Yahoo Account Permanently
- Go to the delete Yahoo user page and enter your valid yahoo email id.
- After entering the mail id, click on the “Next” button and enter the password for the same.
- After signing in, an account deletion warning will pop up. Scroll down to the bottom of the warning page and click on “Continue”.
- When you see an account deletion confirmation page, enter your email on it again.
- Click on “Yes, terminate this account” after entering your e-mail id.
By following the above-written steps, you can terminate your yahoo account officially. However, before deleting your account on a permanent basis, Yahoo provides you with a window of 90 days if in case you change the decision of deleting Yahoo account permanently.
You can retrieve your deleted Yahoo account within 30 days of deletion. It can be recovered by sending a confirmation code on your backup email account or the mobile number provided by you.